Thursday, October 22, 2009

Physical Security: Week 9

After reading chapter 9, I now understand why there are security policies and procedures in place. I did not realize that there were that many threats that could affect information. After reading about tailgating, thinking about it, I realized I have done a bit of tailgating myself without realising it and I didn’t get pulled up on it. It takes a lot of planning to make a facility secure, with electronic monitoring, security related to physical theft, fire threats and many other forms that I wouldn’t even have thought of until reading this chapter.

After reading this chapter, I have come to realise the many security procedures that I need to go through at uni as well as my workplace. For example, we need to swipe our uni cards to enter the IT and business Labs afterhours, CCTV’s placed all over uni, are just some examples of the making the university secure.

I have a Toshiba laptop with a biometric feature (fingerswipe). You can log into the computer with either a password or by swiping your finger. When I first purchased the laptop, I had all my fingerprints stored into the system and no one can get into the computer unless i swipe my finger or if they know what my password is. With windows XP, there are a few softwares that you can use to either change the windows logon password or find out what it is whereas for windows vista, these softwares that i have encountered, do not work. In that sense, i think the information in my laptop is pretty secure.

For multinational businesses, they would definitely have electronic identity cards that must be worn at all times while working; they would have security guards in place, electronic monitoring (CCTV), alarm systems and fire detection systems. For people working in government organizations, in addition to the measures mentioned above, I would assume workers also need to go through a background/police check before being allowed to work for the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment